Main Menu

You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Describe your hypo

Started by skb, May 15, 2016, 11:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

I'm sure each one of us has own hypo experience, false or not.
Back in 2010, I was on a met + glip combo pill when I learnt of LC and started experimenting with diet. I remember one day, about two hours after breakfast I touched 73, and experienced my first hypo symptoms. Suddenly all energy drained from my arms & legs. I was sitting at my desk, had to sign some document and could hardly reach for my pen which was in my shirt pocket. I called for some glucose biscuits, gobbled up a few, had some tea with sugar, and zip, I was at 254.

Later, at the forums, I learnt of false hypos. The lowest I've been with help of those pills is 58, and I didn't feel a thing. By then I was seriously low carbing. The lowest reading I have, since being off drugs is 71.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

starsign

I've posted somewhere earlier about this.
A month ago my partner dropped to 74 in the evening. He was very weak, sweaty & nauseous for an hour or so. That was a scary night that I cannot forget. The sweating part really scared the life out of me.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Timewise

I recall last year when I began following LCHF I woke up one morning and while brushing my teeth and shaving, I noticed my hands were shaky.   I had not drank any coffee or had any thing to eat since dinner the night before.   I tested my BS and I was at 78, lower than I ever had been.   The only symptoms I have had since I was diagnosed with type 2 has been getting these 'shakes'!   I took a diabetic sugar pill and within a few minutes I felt fine.   

Since I have been on LCHF having reading in the 70's is fairly normal...and I no longer have any symptoms when I am in the 70's.  Funny how your body adjusts.....

Kelly

I don't think I've ever had a hypo.  Sometimes I've had sweats and felt weak, but never thought to check my blood sugar.  So much more to learn, I will be more aware now.

skb

That sounds like a hypo to me. Do check when you feel like that.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

I am hypo unaware and I don't feel a hypo until I am in the 40s or 50s.  By then it takes my body a lot longer to recover than it did when I was younger.  I also tend to 'panic' when I hit the 40s and want to eat everything residing in the refrigerator.  Not good practice.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

skb

40s can be scary. Knowing that you are hypo-unaware would no doubt induce panic. How do you feel when you are in the 40s or 50s ? What are your go-to residents of the refrigerator & what number do you typically end up with ?
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

Quote from: skb on July 25, 2016, 11:51:17 PM
40s can be scary. Knowing that you are hypo-unaware would no doubt induce panic. How do you feel when you are in the 40s or 50s ? What are your go-to residents of the refrigerator & what number do you typically end up with ?

How do I feel when I am in the 40s (2.2) and 50s (2.7)?  I have an overwhelming urge to eat anything that I can find, sometimes quite literally.  I feel like if I don't get food of some kind that I will fade away.  My eyesight becomes blurry, I am lightheaded like I was going to faint and sometimes I can look straight at the glucose tablets on the counter and not even 'see' them.  My 'go to' residents of the refrigerator is orange juice or milk, preferrable 2% because it has more lactose I think.  My numbers after such a hypo can be anywhere from 130 (7.2) to 200 (11.11) and I most always feel very tired afterwards.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

I've Liked your post not as a "Like your experience" but appreciate your reply & sharing with us. (Re fasting thread). Back in the day, my (false) hypo would mean a swing of 150-200 points. Anyone who has experienced those roller coasters knows the "tiredness" that follows. It's like a speeding truck hit you.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

I am told that it is the adrenaline that happens during a hypo that causes the overwhelming tiredness that seems to follow a wild swing in blood glucose numbers.  At least now I understand why the healthcare professionals make such a fuss about people having hypos and to try and avoid it whenever possible.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021