Main Menu

You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Hemoglobin & A1c

Started by skb, August 14, 2016, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on August 14, 2016, 08:21:49 PM
Quote from: skb on August 13, 2016, 09:46:40 PM
Barb, that's a very good reason to celebrate  ~flr~
I think I'm going to join you  ~chr~
@ Wally & Barb, just out of curiosity, how are your hemoglobin levels ?
My FBG was at a 118 today morning.

SKB, I feel kind of dumb, one track mind, and realize that you weren't referring to blood sugar.  I just has a CBC done and it shows my Hgb at 12 G/Dl which is on the low side according to the Lab which shows 13.0-18.0 as normal.  Haven't seen my doctor since the tests yet but she told me she would contact me if anything looked like a problem.  At this point, even it's on the low side, I assume it isn't a major worry but I will discuss it with my doctor at my next appointment.  Just curious but what prompted you to ask ?

I've started this as a new topic as this would require its own space. I asked for hemoglobin levels, because your A1c levels (< 5.0) might indicate lowish hemoglobin levels. My hemoglobin levels from Nov 2011 to June 2016 have wavered between 14.0 - 15.1 & I've always struggled to get my A1c levels ~ 5.5 or below.
Since the A1c cells are a subtype of the hemoglobin cells, the A1c score is directly impacted by the overall levels of hemoglobin. This has been my observation with a multitude of people & I therefore do not pay too much importance to A1c as a measure of BG control.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

Thanks SKB, that is an interesting observation and helps to better understand the readings.  I have felt that the last couple of A1c values were lower than I expected but that has been a guess based on my routine testing.  My numbers during the day are good and never over 120, usually not over 110 and often in the 80's but still, an A1c of 4.4 is supposed to be an average of 80 (eAg) and according to my meter my 30 day average is 95.  Not sure if any of that means anything but I agree, I don't try to rely on A1c to show how well I am doing but watch my daily routine testing.  I'm going to have to dig up my old lab tests to see how my hemoglobin was earlier.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 4.8%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

Interesting topic.  I think I am going to find some old lab tests too and see what my hemoglobin was earlier too.

Another thing that is odd is the "normal" range is different between Wally's lab and mine.  Mine says 12-16.  I am going to have to go and look up Wally's to be sure but I think it was 13-18.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/2012  5.7%.  A1c 4% club 7/2013 to 12/2016.
12-2016 5.1%.   6/18 5.3%.   6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%.  7/23 6%.
Off meds 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

walkerwally1

Yeah, my lab lists 13-18 as normal.  Labs do differ often on what they deem as "normal" just to add to the confusion.  I usually depend on my doctor to interpret what is OK and what needs attention.  Of course we don't agree on normal blood sugar.   ;D
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 4.8%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

The normal range is different for men & women. I think that is difference you are seeing in your reports.

Our lab measures hemoglobin in g/dL (grams per decilitre) and the normal ranges are 12-15 for women & 13-17 for men.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

by the end of month i shd be headed home
i will get my labwork done then
i need to know what my a1c is at n i will keep a close eye on the haemoglobin as well
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

I hope your return home goes off without a hitch this time!

rocky

it is confirmed shanny
just waiting for the dates  ;D
My life is based on a true story.

starsign

Quote from: skb on August 14, 2016, 11:59:10 PM
This has been my observation with a multitude of people & I therefore do not pay too much importance to A1c as a measure of BG control.
~whs~
That's quite the fact. AJ happens to be one of the people in that low A1c group (as you know sk). Sometimes his A1c is not able to be measured by the lab. Usually it's pretty low in the 4s, but his BG numbers tell a completely different story. 
Partner of a Diabetic T2